Sep 3, 2013

Super September Day 2: Drugstore Makeup Kit for Beginners! (Tools Included)

In 2010, I made a video with the same idea. If you go on YouTube, there are plenty of videos suggesting products for makeup newbies to try out. I've been wearing makeup for over 4 years and I still watch these videos from time to time to see what people are recommending (and it's fun).

Since I am really trying not to buy makeup right now, I won't have every single item I recommend, but I can promise you that I have probably mentioned most of these products before, so if you're a regular reader, you might roll your eyes and label me a broken record... but it's okay! I can live with that label. I am going to separate things into different categories. My goal is to make this list as short as possible, but with the best possible products. The prices I am using are from the Ulta/CVS and Walmart websites and these products are found in the United States.

Also, if you don't like the look of a product I am recommending, that's fine. There is no "perfect" guide to the best makeup kit for beginners because every person has different needs and preferences. My kit is created with a college student in mind because I am a college student. Will I create a makeup kit with middle/high school students in mind in the future? Probably! (Let me know if you want to see it this month - I have most of my Super September posts planned, but there is plenty of room to make changes. I'd rather post something people are interested in!)

Pricing Guide:
Orange text is the Ulta price. Blue text is the Walmart price. If one is missing, then that product is not sold at the store with missing information (hopefully that made sense!) Since sales tax varies, I won't be including that.

Face
  • Primer/Foundation/Concealer: Covergirl Outlast Stay Fabulous 3-in-1 Foundation ($12.99/$9.47) - As the title of this bullet-point suggests, this product functions as a primer, foundation, and concealer. I spent a long time deciding whether or not to buy this. I was annoyed with Covergirl for repackaging their tinted moisturizer and calling it a BB cream and I came to the realization that I didn't really love Covergirl products in general. When I heard about this foundation it sounded like the perfect base. It takes a few minutes for the product to set properly, but my skin looks great after it does set. Another advantage is that the lightest shade is not too pink or dark for me. There are 14 shades of this ranging from very fair to dark. I think the Covergirl Queen collection also has its own version of this with 14 different shades, which is also great!
  • Powder: Rimmel Stay Matte ($4.99/$3.97) - I recently mentioned that I wanted to try this and eventually broke my Project Minimize goal (yet again) and I love it. You get so much powder for such a low price. It gives my skin more of a semi-matte look than the "flat matte" look that so many people dread. This powder also doesn't irritate my skin, which is a plus. After I finish my other powders, I think I will just keep buying this one.
  • Blush: Covergirl Cheekers Blush ($4.99/$3.74) - These blushes are not the most pigmented, but there are plenty of colors for you to experiment with. These are scented and don't have the best ingredients, but I still recommend them.
  • Bronzer/Highlighter: Wet n Wild Color Icon "Reserve Your Cabana" ($3.93, this one is tricky. Wet n Wild products are not sold at Ulta to my knowledge and not every Walmart sells Wet n Wild... Walgreens and CVS do sell Wet n Wild, and they sell this for $3.99) - This is great for highlighting your cheekbones. I cannot recommend a bronzer because I do not wear bronzer, but this is from their bronzer line. The only piece of advice I have for this is to be careful... it is not pressed very tightly, so it can break with a slight drop. It hasn't happened to me, but I've heard of it happening to other people. Another suggestion I have for highlighting your cheekbones is just a shimmery single eye shadow (cream or peach colors are nice). I have heard people rave about the NYC Sunny Bronzer if you really really want to try one, but I wasn't a fan.
Eyes
  • Primer/Base: Maybelline Color Tattoo's ($6.99/$5.94) - I don't think I've raved about these at all ;) - just kidding! It's like I never stop talking about these. I know some people don't love them, but I do. Bad to the Bronze is quickly becoming my favorite (yes, it is even passing Barely Beige). Not every color has the best formula, but I always get really excited when Maybelline releases some new ones.
  • Eye Shadow: Wet n Wild Color Icon Eye Shadow Collections ($2.99-$4.99) - These are the only drugstore eye shadows that I constantly find myself recommending to people. I will say that drugstore eye shadows have improved tremendously even over the past 4 years... but they still don't really compare to my Urban Decay or Too Faced eye shadows, so I rarely try drugstore eye shadows.
  • Eyeliner: Rimmel ScandalEyes Waterproof Kohl Eyeliner ($4.49/$3.97) - These are smooth, inexpensive, they last pretty well (not the absolute longest wearing eye liners, but they are still wonderful), and there are plenty of different colors to try.
  • Mascara: Maybelline Great Lash Lots of Lashes ($5.49/$3.97, rolled back from $4.44) - I hate the classic Maybelline Great Lash. The formula is wet, the brush doesn't work with it. I don't get a remarkable look from the product at all. Oddly enough, the different brush makes all the difference. My eyelashes look long and full and it seems to take less time to dry than the classic Great Lash.

Lips
  • Lip balm (non-tinted): Burt's Bees Honey Lip Balm ($3.29/$2.97) - If you like honey, I highly recommend this lip balm. I don't think this will be the best product for winter, but for the first time in a while, my lips are smooth.
  • Tinted lip balm: Maybelline Baby Lips ($3.99/$2.97) - These are also pretty hit and miss. I love Cherry Me, but Peach Kiss is just okay.
  • Lip gloss: Revlon Lip Glosses - Okay, so this one is less specific because I prefer Revlon lip products in general.
  • Lipstick: Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick ($6.99/$4.97) - These have an unoffensive flavor and scent, are smooth, and there are so many colors to choose from. As I said, I just adore Revlon lip products in general. I think my favorite color is Wink for Pink, but I really want to try Cherries in the Snow.

Tools

  • Real Techniques brushes: Surprise, surprise. These brushes are amazing. If you can get any of their brushes, definitely get the Expert Face Brush. I also love their brush sets.
I hope you've enjoyed Super September day 2! Stay tuned for day 3.

What products do you recommend for beginners?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment if you'd like! I'll try to reply soon, but if I forget to, just find me and whack me on the head.