Oct 28, 2012

October 2012 Empties!

As I was writing my September empties post, I had convinced myself that I wouldn't finish much in the month of October. I didn't finish a shocking number of products, but I finished enough to feel accomplished.


Neutrogena All-in-1 Acne Control Facial Treatment: This was one of my favorite products in the spring, but over time it lost its effectiveness. Since I had two tubes that were half full, I decided to bring them with me to school so I could actually finish both tubes. I can proudly say I finally have! I prefer Mario Badescu treatments now, but I still highly recommend this if you get occasional blemishes that leave red marks behind. I will probably repurchase this in the winter because it hydrates my skin (therefore it was too greasy for summer) and it did help fade some of my hyperpigmentation faster than it would have faded if I hadn't been using a treatment.

Urban Decay 24/7 Eyeliner in Stray Dog: This is a mini eyeliner, so it's no surprise that I finished it so quickly. I think I used this almost every day after I posted my review on the Urban Decay liners. I have to set my Urban Decay eyeliners with my eye shadows and I went through this pretty quickly once I really used it. I am rather excited to finish the other four just because I don't love them. I know other people do, but these eyeliners aren't right for me. I forgot to keep this after I finished it, so it's not in the picture.

ELF Mineral Blemish Powder: I bought this early in September and used it as an all over setting powder whenever I wasn't using my Neutrogena Mineral Sheers powder foundation. It didn't last very long (maybe I used too much?) and it didn't control oil or improve skin, so I won't be repurchasing. Plus it costs $3 more on the ELF website than it did at Target (I paid $5).

LUSH American Cream Conditioner: As I stated in my review last month, I wasn't crazy about this conditioner. It had a scent I didn't love and most importantly, I felt like it didn't moisturize my hair enough. I am glad I tried it, though. Another thing to add is that for some reason it's not sulfate free. Before using this, I don't think I had ever seen a sulfate in a conditioner (or perhaps I never paid any attention before). I won't repurchase this and I actually ended up replacing it with the Aussie 3 Minute Miracle because it was way cheaper (I found an 8 fluid ounce bottle at Target for under $3 - the LUSH conditioner was almost $10 for 3.3 fluid ounces).

E.L.F. Clarifying Blotting Sheets: I was close to finishing these last month, but I still had a fair few left. I'm now working on finishing my Clean & Clear blotting sheets I bought before I even started college.

Yes to Tomatoes Purifying Shower Gel: I've always been eager to try products that are on the more natural side. This shower gel did the job, but the scent wasn't my favorite so I won't be repurchasing. Plus I'm becoming a big fan of bar soaps since they're so travel-friendly and as far as I know, most (if not all) bar soaps are preservative-free.

Physicians Formula Eye Booster 2-in-1 Lash Boosting Eyeliner + Serum (Ultra Black) and Clear Lash Boosting Serum: I got these in a set a few months back and although there is a little left in both, I like to throw out eyeliners once the consistency changes (the liner became thin and less pigmented and the serum never really did much of anything). I would consider buying the eyeliner again, but I've got a lot of products to finish before I give it serious thought.

Bath & Body Works Secret Wonderland Fragrance Mist: This was a small bottle, so finishing this wasn't technically much of an accomplishment, but since I have about four other small fragrance mists from Bath & Body Works (and 2 large ones) on top of some Victoria's Secret body sprays, I honestly have more than I need. This fragrance was nice, but I won't repurchase it because I've pretty much found my holy grail perfume and the only reason I've been using other scents is so I can actually use them up.

Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream: I bought this between January and March (I can't recall when, so I'm giving a guess) and after using it daily since finishing another foundation, I've finally finished this! I do love this BB cream, but I didn't love the price and the fact that it just didn't last long (2 months at the most, meaning if this became my HG, I'd be spending $234 per year on this, plus tax). I think I might repurchase it in the future, but I have other products I am planning on trying out before that happens. I am finally down to owning only 3 BB creams, 2 liquid foundations, and one powder foundation. I'm trying not to buy any base products until I finish what I have (although... I do have my eye on the Tarte tinted moisturizer). This also isn't pictured because I managed to leave the tube at home this weekend after I finished it.

Aveeno Clear Complexion Cleansing Bar: I tried this because it was inexpensive, medicated, and the ingredients were pretty good (I won't say they were great, but the soap itself is paraben free and I'm still working toward the goal of using paraben free items once I finish what I have). I like the convenience of a bar soap. If you travel with it, there is no chance of it spilling all over everything. There is also less packaging involved (which also means less space is being taken up and less plastic is going to waste). However, I eventually realized that this bar was breaking my skin out. I won't be buying this bar again, but I did replace some products with what you saw in the iHerb haul post (Aveeno's products contain more natural ingredients than the average drugstore brand, but they are by no means completely natural). I can't exactly prove I finished this product since I no longer have the box and the bar has completely dissolved, so my apologies for that.

I've also finished the usual things like toothpaste, mouthwash, contact lens solution, etc. However, since I don't have an excessive amount of any of those things, I generally don't include them in my posts. Since my no-buy has also been over for quite some time and I've used up most sample sized products, I also don't usually include samples. If you guys want me to include those things, just let me know and I will from now on.

I think one of my first (and biggest) resolutions for 2013 will be to really weed out my makeup collection and utilize my space more efficiently. This is just because I still have quite a few products that I need to finish before I buy anything (mainly foundations and powders and such). I'm not sure how I will approach this goal, but I'm definitely working on a plan.

What did you finish this month?

4 comments:

  1. It always feels wonderful being able to finish products like that! I have a post coming up on October empties too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Smashbox BB cream sounds so lovely in every review but that is very very expensive! Lovely blog, new follower here!

    themaibug.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like it, but I'm hoping I can find something that is just as good for less.

      Thank you for following my blog!

      Delete

Comment if you'd like! I'll try to reply soon, but if I forget to, just find me and whack me on the head.