Jul 22, 2012

Beauty at Home, Part 2: Toners

I have tried a few different mixes for toners and I'll have to admit that although my skin likes these toners on occasion (especially if my skin is not responding to my other skin care products), I usually need something stronger because even though my skin has gotten better in the past year, I am still very acne prone and I need some form of salicylic acid in my skin care (my dermatologist always tells me to go with a cleanser at the very least). My skin is fairly oily, so most of the recipes I share are will be for oily/acne-prone skin. They are also very simple and can be adjusted to suit your skin type.

So, that being said, here are some toners I've used that are a nice treat (especially in the summer heat):

Green tea:
Just brew a bag of green tea (plain) and once the bag cools, wipe it on your skin (store it in a plastic container and put it in your refrigerator if you want to speed up the process). If anyone is around when you do this, they will probably look at you as if you are insane, but green tea makes my skin feel soft and refreshed, so I say it's worth it. Green tea should be good for all skin types, too!

Apple cider vinegar:
Mix 1 part of apple cider vinegar (most people have the best luck with Bragg's ACV) to 1 part of water. Some people find the scent of ACV to be offensive, so if you don't like the way vinegar smells, I suggest trying the lemon juice toner first. I personally like the way vinegar smells, so I have never had a problem with this toner. This toner should also help with mild acne.

Lemon juice:
Squeeze the juice from one lemon into a bowl and strain the pulp and seeds out. For every 1 part of lemon juice, make sure you have at least 1 part water or witch hazel. I suggest using sunscreen if you decide you want to use this toner. This toner is great if you have acne and hyperpigmentation.

Feel free to post your own toner recipes below! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment if you'd like! I'll try to reply soon, but if I forget to, just find me and whack me on the head.