Sep 2, 2013

Super September Day 1: Another Challenge + Hogwarts-Inspired Looks!

Why indeed, I have set another goal for myself. I want to publish a blog post every other day... starting today! Some posts will include videos. I will be posting reviews, makeup looks, and anything else that just sounds fun.

It's not a secret that I am a Harry Potter fan. I first read the books in 2002/2003 when I was in fourth grade. I fell in love with the story and the action and just about everything else in the series. Any fan of the series will know that yesterday, September 1, was the day that Hogwarts students would board the Hogwarts Express, sit through the Sorting Ceremony, eat an endless supply of food (but only because of house elves), and then be on their way for a new school year. So for Super September Day 1, I wanted to post pictures of looks inspired by the Hogwarts Houses!

As I've said before... I'm not particularly good at applying makeup. I may try just as much as everybody else, but the end result just looks average (or worse). I also decided that even if the end result to each look was bad, it didn't really matter that much. Why? Because this is just for fun. And I need to step out of my comfort zone every now and then. This is way out of my comfort zone! Oh, and I realized as I was creating these looks that my eyebrows were looking very unkempt and my tweezers were nowhere to be found. Ah, my first world problems ;)

I will actually begin by listing the face makeup I used in each look (as well as mini-reviews because I can't resist sharing my thoughts). Any different products used (blush, highlighter, etc.) will be listed below each picture!
  • Benefit "That Gal" Brightening Face Primer - I got this as a sample a long time ago and was afraid to use it. I like how it gives my skin a glow without looking greasy, but I won't purchase the full size version. 
  • Revlon Colorstay Foundation (Normal/Dry formula) in 110 Ivory - I like this foundation, but I also have some major issues with it. Ivory is too pink for my skin. The next shade up (Buff) is the right undertone, but it is too dark. Mixing the two colors doesn't help (I tried that back in the day). Why did I repurchase it? To be honest, I had $10 in CVS ExtraBucks and I forgot to pack foundation when I was on a trip. Had I been thinking clearly, I would have chosen something else. It's a good formula, but the color is not right for me. Oddly enough, I've used about 1/3 of the product inside the bottle. I honestly have a love/hate relationship with this stuff. Odds are, I will repurchase it at some point in my life (assuming I finish this bottle, of course!) Also - why does it have a pump in some countries? Come on Revlon. You know you want to include a pump for this foundation in EVERY country you sell it in ;)
  • Covergirl Clean Pressed Powder (Oil control) in 510 Classic Ivory - I think I mentioned having this a long time ago. I knew it was in a makeup bag in one of my purses, but I didn't have the motivation to find and finish it... until I started using up the powders in my collection. I doubt I would repurchase this powder, but I do want to try the Rimmel Stay Matte powder. I had it years ago, but I can't remember what I thought about it.
  • And in every look I used the Bare Minerals Flawless Definition Mascara. Not face makeup, but I never used a different mascara.
Now that I have bored you with the face makeup used for this look, I am finally going to show you my Hogwarts House-inspired looks!

Gryffindor (scarlet and gold)
  • Maybelline Color Tattoo in Bold Gold
  • The plum & gold colors from the Revlon Colorstay palette (Embellish) - I would recommend MAC Cranberry over the plum color, but I don't have Cranberry and I probably wouldn't use it too often, so I tried using something comparable. Fail.
  • This is the only look with a corresponding lip color. I used the L'Oreal Colour Riche Lipstick in British Red

Hufflepuff (canary yellow and black) 
  • Maybelline Color Tattoo in Bold Gold
  • Mark i-Mark in Stellar
  • Urban Decay 24/7 Eyeliner in Zero (I tried to wing my eyeliner out to make this look more interesting)
  • Burt's Bees Honey Lip balm (it's an inside joke. I had to put it in)


Ravenclaw (blue and bronze - yes, I realize that in the movies it is blue and gray, but I am basing this off the books)
  • Maybelline Color Tattoo in Bad to the Bronze
  • Wet N Wild Idol Eyes in Distress (or MAC Freshwater)

Slytherin (green and silver)
  • Maybelline Color Tattoo in Silver Strike
  • The silver color in the Revlon Colorstay Palette (Embellish)
  • Wet N Wild Idol Eyes in Envy (or MAC Humid)

I'll probably try this again in a couple years. Hopefully by then I have the courage and skills to create a tutorial instead. Watch out for Super September #2!

4 comments:

  1. What a cool concept! I really liked the Ravenclaw one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you liked it!

      Thank you for commenting <3

      Delete
  2. I LOVE this! I'm such a Potter Nerd, starting the first book back in 1999 and fell hard. I always break these books out in the Fall :) I love the Ravenclaw look the best!

    Jenna ♥ ♥
    Northern Beauty 85

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to reread the books again when I have the time to! Unfortunately I have a stack of unread books too, so I'm torn haha.

      Thank you for commenting <3

      Delete

Comment if you'd like! I'll try to reply soon, but if I forget to, just find me and whack me on the head.