Jan 21, 2013

Review: J.R. Liggett's Bar Shampoo

Have you ever had a moment where you were sure you did something, but then some time later (be it a few minutes or a few months), you realize you didn't do anything at all? Yeah, I honestly thought I had written a review on the J.R. Liggett's shampoos I featured in my iHerb haul a few months back, but it seems that all I did was snap a few pictures on my phone. Lovely ;)

I have the original formula and the herbal formula. The original formula is sitting in a soap dish at my mom and dad's house and the herbal formula is within walking distance. I've tried both formulas enough times to know how I feel about them.

I love the idea that these are meant to be used without conditioner and can supposedly last as long as a 24 ounce bottle of shampoo. Each bar is 3.5 ounces, so just imagine how much space that saves! Honestly it's pretty obvious that I am always determined to find the ultimate way to utilize my space efficiently, whether it's in the bathroom or elsewhere.

Although the J.R. Liggett's shampoos are (sort of) marketed as a shampoo and conditioner in one, I have noticed other reviews mention that they use these to clean their body as well. It makes a lot of sense considering the ingredients are similar to other natural bar soaps I have seen.

The formulas for both shampoos are very similar, but I do find myself preferring the herbal formula over the original even though the only additions seem to be rosemary, lavender, and cedarwood. Overall my hair just felt better with the use of the herbal formula. Neither made my hair feel stripped, but the original version left my hair a little more tangled than usual.

I love that these cost less than $7 (they are about $4 if you order them at Vitacost). I love that the packaging is minimal (it's just paper that can be recycled) and that the bar dries quickly.

Ingredients (Original): Olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil, fresh pure New Hampshire spring water, sodium hydroxide (a binder) and essential oils for fragrance.

Ingredients (Herbal): Olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil, fresh pure New Hampshire spring water, sodium hydroxide (a binder), rosemary-lavender-cedarwood and other essential oils for fragrance.

I would love to try the other formulas because they are supposed to be more moisturizing than the ones I picked up. For now, these are being used as weekly clarifying shampoos and an all-over soap. If you tend to be low-maintenance with your hair or if you want to feel good about what you are putting on your hair, I highly recommend trying one of these. For now, I am using a liquid shampoo again because I have accumulated too many for this single head ;)






Edit (October 2013): I'm nearly ready to re-enter the world of solid shampoo! Well, not quite. I have a few bottles of shampoo/conditioner that are 25% full or less. Once I place my Christmas Vitacost order, I will be selecting one or two different bars to try out. I still want to try the Chagrin Valley shampoo bars, but these are a little more accessible as I can find some of them at Whole Foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment if you'd like! I'll try to reply soon, but if I forget to, just find me and whack me on the head.