Oct 1, 2013

Super September Day 13: Accutane Update & My Accutane Skin Care Routine

Welcome to the first update of my Accutane experience. I've only been taking Accutane for ten days, but I am experiencing mild side effects, so I thought I would share those with you before I share my Accutane skin care routine. Also, I am trying a new format for this post, so let me know how you like it!

Within a few days my nose began to get drier and my lips are constantly chapped. The first four or five days my skin looked better, but now I am in the initial breakout stage. I have quite a few small pimples all over my face, but they are not painful and they disappear relatively quickly. My skin has also felt more sensitive the past two days. These are the only side effects I have experienced. I know that more will probably come in the next few weeks, but I hope I am prepared enough to prevent the severe side effects.

Below I will list the products I plan to use while I am on my Accutane treatment. However, I will admit that I miss using more natural products, so I will probably be replacing some of these products with some more natural alternatives. Most of the products I am using are by my dermatologist's recommendations. He suggested that I stick to using Cetaphil and Aquaphor products. As you may know if you have read my blog in the past, the Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser is not my favorite cleanser because it is loaded with sulfates and parabens.

To remove makeup, I use Philosophy Purity Made Simple. For some reason I forgot to include this in the picture. I bought this on a whim a while back because I used it in the past and loved it. I still really like it, but I do not like that it contains parabens. After I remove my makeup, I cleanse my face with the Neutrogena Ultra Gentle Hydrating Cleanser. It is like Cetaphil, but without the parabens and sulfates. It has a VERY similar consistency to Cetaphil. I like this cleanser better than Cetaphil, but I have my eye on some other products that I will try when I run out of this. My skin is not very dry yet. I am not sure if it is because of the products I am using, or just because I have quite a while before my skin does dry out. Either way, I am using the CVS Moisturizing Cream (it is the generic version of the Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream, which is paraben-free, but I had coupons to make the CVS version even cheaper). To keep my lips from feeling too dry, I use Aquaphor. My dermatologist gave me a few small tubes that I have everywhere. However, I am trying to use up some of my other lip balms. Truth be told, they aren't enough, so I keep going back to Aquaphor.


What products are you using for your skin care routine?

1 comment:

  1. we are currently using sukin moisturiser. We love it so much we're on our 3rd bottle!

    http://mkstyleramblings.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete

Comment if you'd like! I'll try to reply soon, but if I forget to, just find me and whack me on the head.